Wednesday, March 10, 2010

6 Gluttony and Libido: A Difficult Choice!

PART SIX:
In which the Fly must decide between gluttony and libido or whether it is possible to integrate them. In which the Spider must decide if he is to eat or educate the Fly. And what might be in it for him? In which the plot (in Part Seven) leads up to the terrible and unexpected re-appearance of the Dragonfly, which scuppers all plans and contracts hitherto agreed on and decided about. In which I introduce a poem.

All might have been as it should have been from this point on. But the best plans of mice and men......well, this is equally true in the case of the smallest of bugs and the largest of flying Hefferlumpiae and other Mammaloptera and extends even to the winged Mytholopopolatls. It goes equally for Spiders, Flies, Gadflies and Carp and all species and every genus of terrestrial, aerial and aquatic creature whether Nemotodinous, Diptherial or Helicopterous.
Let me digress now for a moment as I gather my thoughts and reel in my memory and re-arrange the thread of my composition preparatory to spinning the further chapters of my story. And while I do, an apposite piece of verse from the ancient annals of Professor Absalom the Younger to break the tension and allow you to go and refill your coffee cup.

Daddy Longlegs

Don’t be frightened! I’m not scary, although I’m black and hairy,
And I run about on lots and lots of legs!
If you hang about and wait, you’ll find there’s only eight,
And they make me very nimble on me pegs!
So I take it very poorly to be called a Creepy Crawly!
I am anything but that, as you can see!
I’m not a creepy sort of blighter,
So don’t say: Ooooer! A Spider!
I’m Daddy Longlegs! Come on up! We’ll have some tea!

I’m afraid my web, (as if it mattered!) is a little torn and tattered.
My last guest, um, seemed to struggle quite a bunch!
I’d invited him for dinner, but he said there must have been a
Big mistake! So I invited him instead for lunch!
But don’t let this put you off! I may sound a little gruff!
But there’s no one kinder or more gentle here than me!
(There’s no one here but me!)
And if you think my web might hide a
Great Big Hairy Hungry Spider,
Well, come on up to Daddy Longlegs and we’ll see!

If I seem to sit and grin as I now invite you in,
It’s that I want us to be friends, the very best!
Oh! My head is in a spin! How very long it’s been
Since such a plump, er, I mean, since such a guest!
Come! Come! Please do not pause. Let these gently smiling jaws
Welcome you into this humble web of mine!
And if my grin gets slowly wider like a Great Big Hungry Spider,
Well, Daddy Longlegs says: It must be time to dine!

No comments:

Post a Comment